Monday, October 15, 2012

Eargasms & Melodies #1: Teresa Jenee

I have a crush on a little mid-west songbird.
Let's go back.
November 1, 2010. I was in New York on a Solo adventure- just getting away from the hum drum of D.C. for awhile. I decided since I was back home in the rotten apple for a couple days, I'd call my friend Cary and see what was up.
He told me to meet him at Satsko, (a cute little intimate sake bar in the East Village on E 7th St.) because his friend was the bartender and he was DJing awesome music from his iPod. Two good things, for the price of one.
Naturally, I got wasted.
However- before I did, I saw two women sitting at the bar, both attractive in their own right- however one was clearly the one winning my attention. After a short chat with both women, I learned that they were both musicians, and the one I was eyeing was named, Teresa Jenee. We all exchanged Twitters and partied the night away. (Complete with dancing on the bar. Yup. At a sake bar.)

A couple weeks later I replayed the outing in my head and did some digging. Turns out Teresa Jenee was not only a musician, but a fucking brilliant one at that.

I downloaded her album, The Ecklectic and was amazed. It was what I hadn't heard in a long time- actual talent. She is a clever mix of melodies ranging R&B, electro-neo soul, negro pop, and house infused disco funk. I received the CD so well, that I had to go see her performance at Ben's Next Door months later. There I witnessed her voice in person, and was impressed and satisfied that it wasn't studio cooked.

(Freedom from 'The Ecklectic')

Her latest mixtape, Electric Yellow is lightning striking twice. She manages to give you everything you like about mainstream music, without sacrificing creativity and sullying her lyrics with lustful imagery. It's funny, because lately a lot of black artists have been experimenting in sounds that she's already mastered. I swear her lyrics will pull you in and give you the feeling that you know her. Her performances will make you love her. You’ll want to live what she is saying. Especially my favorite off of the album,

cleopatra love & war  listen to this.

Which honestly makes me want to lay up with some girl in a canopy bed all night, and just be weak with her. If you know me, you know that's not even my scene- so imagine how beautiful something has to be to make me say that. Yeah, just marinate with that.

Do yourself a favor. Download Electric Yellow <----Click. It's free!

UPDATE: DECEMBER 15, 2013: TJ has just announced that she is releasing a new work, titled The Lower East Live, EP the first promotional single is a cover of Andre 3000's (OutKast) 'Prototype' which is available on her Soundcloud here: Teresa Jenee 'Prorotype' (it's really amazing)

The album will be exclusive to her music site: TERESAJENEE.BANDCAMP.COM



Teresa Jenee
Twitter
Facebook
On the Internets
Soundcloud

Related posts: http://www.tescadero.blogspot.com/p/lyricist-lounge.html

No comments:

"My dreams were all my own, I accounted to them to nobody; they were my refuge when annoyed- my dearest pleasure when free." -Mary Shelley; 'Frankenstein' or 'The Modern Prometheus'